About Us

Barclay Beirne Lawyers was commenced in 2001 by Michael Beirne, LLB (Sydney), who has over 30 years’ experience as a lawyer. The firm is comprised of Michael Beirne, principal, Lauren Drysdale, paralegal and in-house consultant business and compliance advisers.

Our main areas of work are:

Business

  • business structures – partnership agreements, shareholder agreements, unit trusts and hybrid trust structures
  • restraints of trade – preparation of forms, actions in Court to enforce or set aside
  • share sale agreements
  • shareholder and partnership disputes and resolution
  • asset protection – personal and corporate strategy development
  • corporate governance, appointment and removal of officers and executive staff

Litigation

  • shareholder disputes and applications pursuant to Corporations Act 2001
  • corporate governance removal of directors
  • actions by and against trustees in bankruptcy, liquidators, receivers and external administrators
  • contractual disputes
  • debt recovery
  • building disputes
  • restraint of trade
  • trade practices and consumer law
  • succession – advising executors , Succession Act claims, family provision claims and contesting validity of wills

Insolvency and reconstruction

  • receivership – appointment , enforcing securities
  • personal insolvency – bankruptcy , arrangements with creditors, claims by and against trustees in bankruptcy
  • corporate insolvency – company winding up, deeds of company arrangement, actions by and against liquidators, receivers and administrators, including property transactions by and with external administrators
  • reconstruction and restructuring of viable businesses
  • informal agreements with creditors

Strategic partnerships

Barclay Beirne Lawyers has developed strong strategic partnerships with other specialist providers on the Sunshine Coast, Brisbane and inter-state, including business and forensic accountants, valuers, other expert advisers in diverse fields including specialist lawyers. Those relationships enable us to act as a ‘hub’ and coordinate the speedy completion of work by the best available practitioner to be retained by us.

By force of the broad range of work that we do, we are able to offer you general commercial legal advice. For example, we can create a structure which protects your assets working hand in glove with your accountant to ensure tax-effectiveness and regulate that structure to a binding agreement between equity participants and managers and directors. Given our commercial litigation background, we can then enforce that agreement on your behalf.

Notwithstanding our size, we enjoy a significant volume of quality work from long-established clients. We do not advertise. Statistics kept by us show that more than 80% of our work is repeat business, with the vast bulk of the remaining 20% referred either by existing or former clients.

We have one office located at Headland Business Park at 76 Wises Road, Maroochydore, centrally located on the Sunshine Coast adjacent to the Sunshine Coast Motorway. Our offices are less than 10 minutes from the business precincts of Buderim, Mooloolaba and Maroochydore. Our office is located 100kms – 1½ hours from Brisbane. We frequently attend Brisbane for the purposes of court and tribunal hearings, clients and specialist advisers.

In general, the services we provide are not readily available on the Sunshine Coast. Our research shows that, whilst a number of our competitor firms touch on one or other of the areas in which we have a special interest, few are able to offer the our range of services at an expert level.

Our principal, Michael Beirne, offers services at $375.00 per hour plus GST. Bench-marking has demonstrated that our hourly rates are very reasonable, having regard to the complexity of the work completed by us and the responsibility we accept in conducting matters of significance on behalf of our corporate and non-corporate clients.

Further, being available for face-to-face consultation with our clients in a regional area provides more effective communication at short notice and avoids the costs and time thrown away by clients travelling to Brisbane to obtain advice.

By using our firm as a ‘hub’ for the provision of legal and business services we can coordinate all advice our clients may require and ensure the that all services are provided by a suitably qualified practitioner with a special interest in the field under consideration for a reasonable fee negotiated or estimated in advance.